THE NY STATE EMERGENCY RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM HAS REOPENED!
Application link here: https://otda.ny.gov/programs/emergency-rental-assistance/
- All tenants and landlords who may be eligible are encouraged apply. The website is still being updated, so ignore anything about NY State needing more funds or anything else that looks confusing. Just apply!
The Emergency Rent Relief Program (ERAP) launched Tuesday June 1, 2021, and is being administered by the Office of Temporary Disability Assistance (OTDA).
For future updates and application to apply, visit https://nysrenthelp.otda.ny.gov/en/
Who can apply?
Tenants may apply directly.
Landlords may apply on behalf of their tenants
Landlords may apply even if the tenant has moved out
Who is eligible?
As a NYC tenant, you are eligible for this assistance if you meet all of the following criteria:
• You have fallen behind on rent since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020.
• A member of your household has qualified for unemployment benefits, experienced a reduction in income, incurred significant costs, or experienced financial hardship—directly or indirectly due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Income limits apply.
Landlords can apply for tenants.
Residents of New York City are Eligible if All Three Conditions are Met:
1. Tenant fell behind paying rent since the COVID-19 pandemic began in March 2020 but was not in arrears prior to March 2020.
2. Tenant qualified for unemployment benefits or lost income and/or had an increase in expenses due to the COVID-19 pandemic and can prove it with documentation.
3. Tenants' monthly gross (before tax) household income must be at or below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI). "Household income" is defined as the income of everyone in the home who is over 18 and who works full or part-time.
4. Note: Landlords may challenge tenant's eligibility claim.
Additional Information for Landlords
ERAP payment satisfies the tenant’s full rental obligations for the time period covered by the payment.
Landlord must waive any late fees due on arrears covered by the ERAP payment.
No increase is permitted in the monthly rental amount due at the time of application for ERAP assistance for months for which rental assistance is received and for one year from receipt of the ERAP payment.
Landlord cannot evict the household for expired lease or holdover tenancy for one year from the receipt of the ERAP payment. An exception to this requirement shall be made if the dwelling unit contains four or fewer units and the property owner or owner’s immediate family members intend to immediately occupy the unit for use as a primary residence.
PROTECT YOURSELF, YOUR FAMILY & YOUR ASSETS!
It's free and available to everyone over age 5. No insurance required. Just bring picture ID. No immigration questions.
For more information, visit www.nyc.gov/covidvaccine
To find a location near you:
call 877-VAX-4NYC (877-829-4692)
If you need it, ask about:
Round-trip transportation (available to anyone 65 or older)
Accommodation for a disability
At-home testing (age 65 and over)
Until you are vaccinated, continue to social distance and wear a mask when around strangers, other unvaccinated people, people with pre-existing conditions, and seniors.
Get tested if you feel sick, have been indoors with people whose vaccination status is unknown to you, or plan to travel, whether you are vaccinated or not. Find a test center at www.nyc.gov/covidtest