Preparing for Emergencies in NYC
Ready New York is an initiative of the NYC Office of Emergency Management. Being prepared for any emergency is as simple as planning ahead. Make sure everyone in your home works together to:
1) make a plan,
2) gather emergency supplies,
3) understand the hazards they may face.
For information from Ready New York on how your household can take control in an emergency, visit
Ready.gov is a New York State emergency preparedness program that offers a wealth of information on preparing for an emergency. https://www.ready.gov/new-York
Notify NYC is a dedicated emergency notification system operating out of the Office of the Emergency Management (OEM). OEM is constantly monitoring emergency activity in New York City and the metropolitan area. Sign up to receive up to nine types of alerts on your iPhone or Android. Enroll here.
People with Disabilities, or Access and Functional Needs
Individuals and caregivers for people with disabilities and others with access and functional needs are encouraged to evaluate their necessities in the event of an emergency and create an emergency plan unique to them.
Some easy ways to create an emergency plan tailored for specific needs:
• Collect information Create a paper copy of the contact information including phone, email, and social media information for your family, friends, caregivers, neighbors and other important people or service providers.
• Share your emergency plans Tell your employer and trusted people in your support networks where you keep your emergency supplies, what you need, and how to contact you if the power goes out.
• Practice Your Plan Dedicate time to practice your emergency plan with your support network, just as you would with a fire drill.